From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 01:07:57
1 I don't think a straight 'drop-in/replacement' will boot.
2
3 The CPU scheduler does change from 'fam10h' to 'fam15h'.
4 The '3DNow!' && 'enhanced 3DNow!' ( used in fam10h ) instructions are
5 dropped / removed in fam15h.
6
7 Doing the 'emerge -e @world' with '-march=generic' is probably the only
8 guaranteed to work solution.
9
10 If you take this route set the CPU_FLAGS_X86= to MMX, SSE, SSE2 with no
11 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! ( gcc flags / CFLAGS -mno-3dnow, -mno-3dnowa )
12
13 Just remember to change the kernel configuration also.
14
15 Reference Links :
16 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenom_II
17 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_microprocessors