From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 01:17:38
1 Corbin Bird wrote:
2 > I don't think a straight 'drop-in/replacement' will boot.
3 >
4 > The CPU scheduler does change from 'fam10h' to 'fam15h'.
5 > The '3DNow!' && 'enhanced 3DNow!' ( used in fam10h ) instructions are
6 > dropped / removed in fam15h.
7 >
8 > Doing the 'emerge -e @world' with '-march=generic' is probably the only
9 > guaranteed to work solution.
10 >
11 > If you take this route set the CPU_FLAGS_X86= to MMX, SSE, SSE2 with no
12 > 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! ( gcc flags / CFLAGS -mno-3dnow, -mno-3dnowa )
13 >
14 > Just remember to change the kernel configuration also.
15 >
16 > Reference Links :
17 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenom_II
18 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_FX_microprocessors
21 That's what I was curious about.  From my understanding, while a CPU
22 made by the same maker and has the same pin out, they are different
23 inside as far as what instructions they run.  I think I'll go the
24 generic route, which is what I was looking for really, and change the
25 CPU flags as well.  I'll at least do a -e @system run which should get
26 me a bootable OS.  Once I install the CPU, I can reset back to old march
27 setting and update the CPU flags to whatever cpuid2cpuflags shows for
28 the new CPU and rebuild again.
29
30 Sounds like I need to build a new kernel as well. I guess I could name
31 one with FX in it to be able to tell it from the old one.  I do mine
32 manually anyway, except for the dracut thingy.
33
34 Thanks much.
35
36 Dale