From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:01:24
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 15:17:45 schrieb Michael Mol:
4 >> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 >>
6 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 13:51:47 schrieb Michael Mol:
8 >> >> Just don't buy a SAMSUNG drive. I know, I know, everyone has their pet
9 >> >> "Don't Buy Hard Drives Made By $x" experience.
10 >> >>
11 >> >> Here's mine.
12 >> >>
13 >> >> I bought a 1TB SAMSUNG drive for cheap from Newegg at a Black Friday
14 >> >> sale a couple years ago. It failed on me. Around the same time, I
15 >> >> identified some flaws in the firmware which I considered severe[2].
16 >> >  Model=SAMSUNG MMCRE64G5MXP-0VB, FwRev=VBM1901Q, SerialNo=S0FDNEAZ600013
17 >> >  Model=SAMSUNG HD502IJ, FwRev=1AA01109, SerialNo=S13TJDWQ346413
18 >> >  Model=SAMSUNG HD753LJ, FwRev=1AA01113, SerialNo=S13UJ1CQB07158
19 >> >  Model=SAMSUNG HD502HJ, FwRev=1AJ100E5, SerialNo=S20BJDWS913888
20 >> >  Model=SAMSUNG HD103SJ, FwRev=1AJ10001, SerialNo=S246JD1Z910209
21 >> >  Model=SAMSUNG HD103SJ, FwRev=1AJ100E5, SerialNo=S246JDWSA20722
22 >> >
23 >> > Oh, yeah it was THAT 2tb drive with the smart bug.
24 >> >
25 >> > Which was solved with an easy to do firmware update.
26 >>
27 >> I checked at the time. There was no firmware update, and, to my
28 >> knowledge, there never was for the drive model that failed on me.
29 >> Shortly after my second drive failed, Newegg discontinued selling
30 >> model. (The most I remember about the model number can be expressed as
31 >> a regex: HD10.*UI. I don't remember the firmware revision.
32 >>
33 >> It was the combination of historical problems, personal incidental
34 >> experience and terrible customer service that led me to swear off
35 >> SAMSUNG drives. Take away any one of those issues from my experiences
36 >> at the time, and I'd consider buying another drive from them.
37 >>
38 >> You've got six working drives of various sizes, models and firmware
39 >> revisions. Good for you. I've got a still-functional 40GB IBM
40 >> DeathStar. (It's not powered up right now, but it never failed on me
41 >> after five years of use.)
42 >
43 > and I had 5 death stars failing on me.
44
45 My point is that the numbers aren't what mattered here. My point is
46 that SAMSUNG sold me a shoddy product, replaced it with another
47 instance of the the same shoddy product, wouldn't replace it again,
48 and never addressed a detailed technical report of a systemic problem
49 in the same. Bad tech, bad customer service, and it looked like this
50 was a more common scenario than among other manufacturers. All of it
51 boiled down to a nasty case of being a bad candidate for spending time
52 and money.
53
54 Did IBM refuse to replace your failing drives? Did you include
55 detailed technical information that should have allowed them to
56 resolve issues leading to those drives' failures? For me, SAMSUNG's
57 behavior in the customer service department indicated that I wasn't
58 likely to get good service in the future, and the rapidly-failing
59 drives (combined with my analysis of the SMART output and the history
60 of SMART problems with SAMSUNG drives) indicated to me that I'd need
61 to use that customer service department in the future if I bought more
62 of their drives.
63
64 So you've got six working drives, and a drive that works now that you
65 patched the firmware. Congrats on choosing a model for which a
66 firmware patch was made available (unless that was just luck...).
67 Also, good luck if you have a failing drive that was sent to you by
68 RMA. It's been a few years; if you're lucky, they may have cleaned up
69 their act.
72 :wq