From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:56:59
1 Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 16:00:09 schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 15:17:45 schrieb Michael Mol:
6 > >> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
7 > >>
8 > >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > >> > Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2011, 13:51:47 schrieb Michael Mol:
10 > >> >> Just don't buy a SAMSUNG drive. I know, I know, everyone has
11 > >> >> their pet "Don't Buy Hard Drives Made By $x" experience.
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> Here's mine.
14 > >> >>
15 > >> >> I bought a 1TB SAMSUNG drive for cheap from Newegg at a Black
16 > >> >> Friday
17 > >> >> sale a couple years ago. It failed on me. Around the same time,
18 > >> >> I
19 > >> >> identified some flaws in the firmware which I considered
20 > >> >> severe[2].
21 > >> >
22 > >> > Model=SAMSUNG MMCRE64G5MXP-0VB, FwRev=VBM1901Q,
23 > >> > SerialNo=S0FDNEAZ600013 Model=SAMSUNG HD502IJ, FwRev=1AA01109,
24 > >> > SerialNo=S13TJDWQ346413 Model=SAMSUNG HD753LJ, FwRev=1AA01113,
25 > >> > SerialNo=S13UJ1CQB07158 Model=SAMSUNG HD502HJ, FwRev=1AJ100E5,
26 > >> > SerialNo=S20BJDWS913888 Model=SAMSUNG HD103SJ, FwRev=1AJ10001,
27 > >> > SerialNo=S246JD1Z910209 Model=SAMSUNG HD103SJ, FwRev=1AJ100E5,
28 > >> > SerialNo=S246JDWSA20722
29 > >> >
30 > >> > Oh, yeah it was THAT 2tb drive with the smart bug.
31 > >> >
32 > >> > Which was solved with an easy to do firmware update.
33 > >>
34 > >> I checked at the time. There was no firmware update, and, to my
35 > >> knowledge, there never was for the drive model that failed on me.
36 > >> Shortly after my second drive failed, Newegg discontinued selling
37 > >> model. (The most I remember about the model number can be expressed as
38 > >> a regex: HD10.*UI. I don't remember the firmware revision.
39 > >>
40 > >> It was the combination of historical problems, personal incidental
41 > >> experience and terrible customer service that led me to swear off
42 > >> SAMSUNG drives. Take away any one of those issues from my experiences
43 > >> at the time, and I'd consider buying another drive from them.
44 > >>
45 > >> You've got six working drives of various sizes, models and firmware
46 > >> revisions. Good for you. I've got a still-functional 40GB IBM
47 > >> DeathStar. (It's not powered up right now, but it never failed on me
48 > >> after five years of use.)
49 > >
50 > > and I had 5 death stars failing on me.
51 >
52 > My point is that the numbers aren't what mattered here. My point is
53 > that SAMSUNG sold me a shoddy product, replaced it with another
54 > instance of the the same shoddy product, wouldn't replace it again,
55 > and never addressed a detailed technical report of a systemic problem
56 > in the same. Bad tech, bad customer service, and it looked like this
57 > was a more common scenario than among other manufacturers. All of it
58 > boiled down to a nasty case of being a bad candidate for spending time
59 > and money.
60
61 Samsung replaced my two drives (one 500gb drive from a known shady series and
62 the SSD when the firmware overwrote itself) without any fuss.
63
64 Of course, I included the results of their check tool. No problem.
67 > Did IBM refuse to replace your failing drives?
68
69 no, but 5 out of 5 died and took tons of valuable data with them.
70
71 That is the worst case scenario. All other harddrives had no problems at all.
72 Different mobos, PSUs - nothing changed the fact that all death stars I ever
73 owned died violently - except the last one, because I sold the computer it was
74 built in in time.
75
76 > Did you include
77 > detailed technical information that should have allowed them to
78 > resolve issues leading to those drives' failures? For me, SAMSUNG's
79 > behavior in the customer service department indicated that I wasn't
80 > likely to get good service in the future, and the rapidly-failing
81 > drives (combined with my analysis of the SMART output and the history
82 > of SMART problems with SAMSUNG drives) indicated to me that I'd need
83 > to use that customer service department in the future if I bought more
84 > of their drives.
85
86 there was one smart related problem with Samsung in the last year. With their
87 2tb drives. Samsung released a firmware patch after they were informed of the
88 problem.
89
90 Apart from that Samsung drives just work for me - and the people around me.
91
92 I also had no problems with drives getting replaced - but the replacing was
93 always the problem of my trusted hardware dealer. That is why you buy hdds
94 from a trusted, local guy. The rest was the problem of Samsung. They can't
95 wiggle out of Germany's warranty laws ;)
98 > So you've got six working drives, and a drive that works now that you
99 > patched the firmware. Congrats on choosing a model for which a
100 > firmware patch was made available (unless that was just luck...).
101 > Also, good luck if you have a failing drive that was sent to you by
102 > RMA. It's been a few years; if you're lucky, they may have cleaned up
103 > their act.
104
105 In fact there were two: a 500gb from a known series, and the SSD. Both got
106 replaced because both failed in the warranty period. They had no chance but
107 had to replace them. It went quickly and without any fuss. I did run their
108 check tool and reported the results. No more questions asked. Here is the old
109 one, thanks for the new one.
110
111 Western Digital - two drives. They worked. They were lousy, noisy, lame, hot,
112 but worked.
113
114 Seagate: now 3 drives, 1 had to be replaced. It was pretty much dead on
115 arrival, with a severe spindle defect. All three worked just fine until I
116 replaced them
117
118 Toshiba&co have to check my Dell Poweredge what drives are in there...
119
120 IBM all death stars I ever owned failed except the last one - which was given
121 away (and failed with its new owner). Which is the worst possible outcome. No
122 customer support can outweight such a disaster.
126 #163933