From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:50:17
1 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:48:11 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I can get to the printers page on the server's Cups' GUI:
6 >>>
7 >>> http://192.168.1.59:631/printers
8 >>>
9 >>> It gives me a long, ugly descriptive name for the printer so I tried:
10 >>>
11 >>> lpr -P HP_PSC_1600_series_USB_1 optimize_mythdb.sh
12 >>
13 >> You may want to add the printer again in CUPS, this time using a better
14 >> name. The CUPS web interface doesn't provide for renaming printers,
15 >> so either re-install it or try editing /etc/cups/printers.conf. I've not
16 >> tried the latter,but I expect it would work if you stopped cupsd first.
19 >> --
20 >> Neil Bothwick
23 > Just finished doing that. Now lpr -P HP1600 file.name works fine.
24 >
25 > Still looking for info on this <RAW print queue> thing.
26 >
27 > I've tried adding a printer on my Vista laptop using Willie's
28 > suggested setup but so far it doesn't contact the Linux printer.
29 > Probably I need the RAW thing setup before that will work.
30 >
31 > - Mark
34 OK, now I'm thinking that maybe the <RAW> stuff Willie was talking
35 about is accomplished by uncommenting the two lines in the
36 mime.conv/types files.
37
38 I set up a network printer from my Windows XP box pointing at the
39 Linux Cups server. I told Windows it was an Apple Laserwriter II NT. I
40 couldn't find a Generic Postscript printer listed. I asked Windows to
41 print a generic printer test page an out popped what I was looking for
42 - A Windows XP Printer Test Page. I then tried to print an email and
43 the printer is complaining about ink in the cartridge. Ain't that
44 always the way it works? ;-)
45
46 So, definite headway. I've now printed B&W at least.
47
48 Thanks all,
49 Mark