From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:25:47
1 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:48:11 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> I can get to the printers page on the server's Cups' GUI:
5 >>
6 >> http://192.168.1.59:631/printers
7 >>
8 >> It gives me a long, ugly descriptive name for the printer so I tried:
9 >>
10 >> lpr -P HP_PSC_1600_series_USB_1 optimize_mythdb.sh
11 >
12 > You may want to add the printer again in CUPS, this time using a better
13 > name. The CUPS web interface doesn't provide for renaming printers,
14 > so either re-install it or try editing /etc/cups/printers.conf. I've not
15 > tried the latter,but I expect it would work if you stopped cupsd first.
18 > --
19 > Neil Bothwick
22 Just finished doing that. Now lpr -P HP1600 file.name works fine.
23
24 Still looking for info on this <RAW print queue> thing.
25
26 I've tried adding a printer on my Vista laptop using Willie's
27 suggested setup but so far it doesn't contact the Linux printer.
28 Probably I need the RAW thing setup before that will work.
29
30 - Mark