From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub vs grub 2
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:20:57
1 On 2012-02-14 6:19 PM, mike@×××××××.us <mike@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > If you're interested, I can detail a history for you, and explain why
3 > GRUB 1 was discontinued and why the whole thing was restructured in
4 > detail. I can't right now, as I am about to get on a conference call,
5 > but I can certainly do so later tonight or tomorrow if you want.
6
7 What I would prefer is a detailed yet simple 'How-To' aimed at the
8 average user rather than the hacker (in other words, don't assume I can
9 read code/scripts and understand all or even some of what is happening)
10 or write my own scripts, etc...
11
12 Also, I'd prefer this How-To be aimed at current users of GRUB Legacy,
13 meaning, 'This is how Legacy did it, but now GRUB2 does it this way, and
14 for this reason'...
15
16 And last, a lot of examples of comparisons of GRUB-Legacy/GRUB2 config
17 files for different types of systems (obviously, these should include
18 all of the most common systems, then more esoteric ones can be added by
19 those using them)...