From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub vs grub 2
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:35:02
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2012-02-14 6:19 PM, mike@×××××××.us <mike@×××××××.us> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> If you're interested, I can detail a history for you, and explain why
5 >> GRUB 1 was discontinued and why the whole thing was restructured in
6 >> detail.  I can't right now, as I am about to get on a conference call,
7 >> but I can certainly do so later tonight or tomorrow if you want.
10 > What I would prefer is a detailed yet simple 'How-To' aimed at the average
11 > user rather than the hacker (in other words, don't assume I can read
12 > code/scripts and understand all or even some of what is happening) or write
13 > my own scripts, etc...
14 >
15 > Also, I'd prefer this How-To be aimed at current users of GRUB Legacy,
16 > meaning, 'This is how Legacy did it, but now GRUB2 does it this way, and for
17 > this reason'...
18
19 Just from reading Mike's earlier post, it sounds like the answer to
20 the bulk of those would be:
21 1) Legacy GRUB didn't do that. Your distro patched it to do that.
22 2) GRUB2 does it this way. Because legacy grub didn't do that.
26 > And last, a lot of examples of comparisons of GRUB-Legacy/GRUB2 config files
27 > for different types of systems (obviously, these should include all of the
28 > most common systems, then more esoteric ones can be added by those using
29 > them)...
32 It sounds like you're asking for a cookbook. (Which is admittedly
33 something I wondered about yesterday)
34
35 Still, it sounds like most of your menuentries could follow a template
36 like this:
37
38 menuentry '$name' --class gnu-linux --class
39 gnu --class os {
40        insmod $partition_table_module
41        insmod $filesystem_modules
42        set root='(/dev/which_disk,$partition_table_entry_identifier)'
43        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
44 $UUID_OF_ROOT_FILESYSTEM
45        linux   $path_to_kernel_from_boot root=/dev/root_fs_disk ro
46
47 (Shamelessly adapted from Mike's sample. I removed the video and echo,
48 as I suspect they're not necessary, and I removed the gzio module,
49 though I don't know what it's needed for)
52 :wq