From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is a nice "place" :-D
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 19:10:40
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:17 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Neil Bothwick
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:38:33 +0100, Stroller wrote:
5 > > Not addressed at you, specifically, but it rather seems like sed & awk
6 > > are much under-appreciated these days. I'd guess that this may be due
7 > > to the changing nature of *nix users, but they seem to have "gone out
8 > > of fashion". Aside from sed's simple replace, I have certainly never
9 > > learned to do anything useful with them.
10 >
11 > They both have a steep initial learning curve, which leads to their
12 > adoption being put off. I put awk in the same category as screen, one of
13 > those programs that you hear people going on about for years, but always
14 > manage to put off trying them. Once you do try them, you use them for
15 > everything but slicing bread.
18 Add bash to that list.
19
20 Have you read the full man page for the bloody thing?
21
22 No wonder most folk stop at launching it after login
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com