From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Get off my lawn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 04:07:29
1 On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson@×××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > > From: Rich Freeman
4 > > Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 4:41 PM
5 > >
6 > > I suspect that eventually we'll get to a point where the stage3s don't
7 > > contain init, just as they don't contain a kernel. Besides, who wants
8 > > all those files clogging up their drives when all they want is a
9 > > chroot? :)
10 >
11 > I've got no issue with that, Gentoo is all about choice :). What is going
12 to make me really unhappy is if/when the assimilation campaign by systemd
13 makes supporting init system options difficult or impossible 8-/.
14
15 From [1]:
16
17 'After nearly 12 years working on Gentoo and hearing blathering about how
18 “Gentoo is about choice” and “Gentoo is a metadistribution,” I’ve come to a
19 conclusion to where we need to go if we want to remain viable as a Linux
20 distribution.'
21
22 'If we want to have any relevance, we need to have focus. Everything for
23 everybody is a guarantee that you’ll be nothing for nobody.'
24
25 This idea (the one that Gentoo is, or should be, about "choice") is one
26 which not all users (like myself), nor developers (like, apparently,
27 dberkholz) agree on.
28
29 In particular, and for what it matters, I've always said that Gentoo (and
30 Linux) is about choice, as long as there is someone willing and able to
31 provide the choice.
32
33 Just my 0.02 cents.
34
35 Regards.
36
37 [1] http://dberkholz.com/2015/01/13/gentoo-needs-focus-to-stay-relevant/
38 --
39 Canek Peláez Valdés
40 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias