From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:00:04
1 On Wed, November 23, 2011 2:34 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:57:31 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> What I like about VBox is that you get all the useful bits in the
5 >> >> open-source version.
6 >> >
7 >> > Except USB support.
8 >>
9 >> Huh?
10 >>
11 >> I used VirtualBox with a MSWindowsXP guest to use a "negatives" scanner
12 >> that would refuse to work with Sane as the device has some weird
13 >> initialization routines that need to be controlled by the actual driver.
14 >
15 > Are you using the open source version, or the free-as-in-beer version?
16 >
17 > USB support was not included in the open source version, try installing
18 > app-emulation/virtualbox-ose and see for yourself.
19
20 Probably the free drinks version. But when also considering VMWare, I
21 doubt it would matter much.
24 Joost