From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:35:44
1 On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:57:31 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > >> What I like about VBox is that you get all the useful bits in the
4 > >> open-source version.
5 > >
6 > > Except USB support.
7 >
8 > Huh?
9 >
10 > I used VirtualBox with a MSWindowsXP guest to use a "negatives" scanner
11 > that would refuse to work with Sane as the device has some weird
12 > initialization routines that need to be controlled by the actual driver.
13
14 Are you using the open source version, or the free-as-in-beer version?
15
16 USB support was not included in the open source version, try installing
17 app-emulation/virtualbox-ose and see for yourself.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away