From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A helping hand with virtual machines, please.
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:55:27
1 Am Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:34:45 +0000
2 schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3
4 > On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:57:31 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >
6 > > >> What I like about VBox is that you get all the useful bits in the
7 > > >> open-source version.
8 > > >
9 > > > Except USB support.
10 > >
11 > > Huh?
12 > >
13 > > I used VirtualBox with a MSWindowsXP guest to use a "negatives" scanner
14 > > that would refuse to work with Sane as the device has some weird
15 > > initialization routines that need to be controlled by the actual driver.
16 >
17 > Are you using the open source version, or the free-as-in-beer version?
18 >
19 > USB support was not included in the open source version, try installing
20 > app-emulation/virtualbox-ose and see for yourself.
21
22 USB*2* support is not included in the OSE version (but is available in the
23 oracle extension pack:
24 https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing), while USB1 is
25 supported out of the box.
26
27 Also, since version 4, the package is now just called app-emulation/virtualbox,
28 so "open source edition" isn't quite correct anymore. Now they call it the "base
29 package". AFAIK, all the proprietary components were moved into the extension
30 pack.
33 Marc Joliet
34 --
35 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
36 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup