From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] You have no world file
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:16:58
1 On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On 04/20/2011 11:35 AM, Dan Cowsill wrote:
4 > > Hi list,
5 > >
6 > > I've been having a strange issue every so often. I'll do a world update
7 > > (emerge -uDNav, etc) and that will proceed nicely, installing new
8 > > packages and suchlike. I'll then do a little bit of the old emerge -pcv
9 > > to check for dangling packages and I will get the following:
10 > >
11 > > !!! You have no world file.
12 > > !!! Proceeding is likely to break your installation.
13 > >
14 > > Portage will then politely inform me that it needs to remove 190
15 > > packages and I thank FSM I added -p.
16 > >
17 > > So! Googling that little tidbit produced nothing meaningful. What's
18 > > the story? Gremlins?
21 > Basically. Do you have a world file (/var/lib/portage/world)? If not,
22 > why not? Is /var or one of its subdirectories mounted separately? Hard
23 > drive going bad? Do you see gremlins anywhere?
24 >
25 > Permissions on /var/lib/portage should be drwxrws--- root:portage
26 >
27 > /var/lib/portage/world should be -rw-r--r-- root:portage
30 File's there, permissions are correctly set, the filesystem isn't mounted
31 separately and according to smartctl, the hard drive is doing quite well.
32 I'm at a loss!