From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 02:17:28
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > <big_snip />
7 > I think the libpng issue shows up a more generic problem:
8 > we IMHO dont have a way for recording, which version / interface
9 > of some version a package is built against. The need for things
10 > like revdep-rebuild also comes from that.
11 >
12 > I'm currently working on an generic design for that, some ideas:
13 > (of course, yet limited to C and similar languages ;-o)
14 >
15 > * libraries with (incompatible) interface changes should install
16 > their headers under some own versioned prefix
17 > * library imports should _always_ happen via pkg-config
18 > (dont use .la files)
19 > * pkg-config descriptors are extended to declare the API and
20 > ABI version and generation, so interface breaks can be
21 > determined automatically
22 > * the package management records which version of some imported
23 > library a package was built against (some kind of revdep-scan
24 > between compile and merge)
25 > * with that information the package management can do an smooth
26 > upgrade (w/o temporary breaks until revdep-rebuild finished)
29 > cu
32 This may be something you should post on -dev. They are the ones that
33 handle this sort of thing.
34
35 Things are better there but take a flack jacket. Never hurts to have
36 one just in case you need it. ;-)
37
38 Dale
39