From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safe to install libpng-1.2.44?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 01:45:37
1 Hi folks,
2
3 <big_snip />
6 I think the libpng issue shows up a more generic problem:
7 we IMHO dont have a way for recording, which version / interface
8 of some version a package is built against. The need for things
9 like revdep-rebuild also comes from that.
10
11 I'm currently working on an generic design for that, some ideas:
12 (of course, yet limited to C and similar languages ;-o)
13
14 * libraries with (incompatible) interface changes should install
15 their headers under some own versioned prefix
16 * library imports should _always_ happen via pkg-config
17 (dont use .la files)
18 * pkg-config descriptors are extended to declare the API and
19 ABI version and generation, so interface breaks can be
20 determined automatically
21 * the package management records which version of some imported
22 library a package was built against (some kind of revdep-scan
23 between compile and merge)
24 * with that information the package management can do an smooth
25 upgrade (w/o temporary breaks until revdep-rebuild finished)
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
33 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
34 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
35 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
36 http://patches.metux.de/