From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SSH xterm not working properly during install
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 02:42:08
1 On 7/8/20 10:05 PM, james wrote:
2 > On 7/8/20 9:48 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2020-07-08, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Today I decided to ssh into the install, and cut + paste stuff into
6 >>> an ssh xterm into the install.� This went flying along really fast
7 >>> until I went to emerge after having updated make.conf.� I got a slew
8 >>> of weird errors.
9 >>
10 >> I've been installing Gentoo that way for almost 20 years and never had
11 >> a problem.� I very rarely use xterm though -- I used aterm for years,
12 >> switched to rxvt, and then to urxvt.
13 >>
14 >>> It turns out that make.conf was majorly butchered after I had done
15 >>> some "simple" edits over ssh.� This seems to be a terminfo problem, so
16 >>> it may apply to more than just nano.
17 >>
18 >> --
19 >> Grant
24 > x11-misc/urxvtconfig
25 >
26 > might be useful to you
27 >
28 > https://github.com/daedreth/URXVTConfig
29 >
30 > hth,
31 > James
34 AND 'rich' looks like it picks up color to fancy features, if somebody
35 figures out how to set it up
36 on gentoo:
37
38 https://pypi.org/project/rich/
41 "Render rich text, tables, progress bars, syntax highlighting, markdown
42 and more to the terminal "
43
44 This one has been on the 'todo' list for me for a while.
45
46 hth,
47
48 James