From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advansys SCSI Support in 2.6.13-r5 Kernel?
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:56:23
1 On 10/30/2005 9:33 AM Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >Drew Tomlinson schreef:
6 >>I am trying to upgrade from a 2.6.11 genkernel to 2.6.13-r5
7 >>genkernel. However when booting, I get a message about root not being
8 >>a valid root device and then a prompt to enter the correct one.
15 >><snip> it appears likely that my problem is that
16 >>Advansys SCSI support is either not built into my kernel or is built
17 >>as a module? In any event, I ran genkernel with the --menuconfig
18 >>option to check it out. But I could not find Advansys support in the
19 >>SCSI Low Level Drivers section. Searching on 'advansys' revealed
20 >>this:
21 >>
22 >>Symbol: SCSI_ADVANSYS [=n]
26 >Well, this means that the ADVANSYS support is not built at all (if it
27 >was set to be built as a loadable module, it would say =m, and if it was
28 >statically built into the kernel, it would say =y).
32 >>Prompt: AdvanSys SCSI support
33 >> Defined at drivers/scsi/Kconfig:401
34 >> Depends on: (ISA || EISA || PCI) && SCSI && BROKEN Location:
35 >> -> Device Drivers -> SCSI device support
36 >> -> SCSI device support (SCSI [=y]) -> SCSI low-level
37 >>drivers
38 >>
39 >>So why does this not show up in menuconfig and is there some way to
40 >>turn this on?
44 >The Depends on section tells you what is required for the option to appear.
45 >
46 >In the Device Drivers section, under SCSI device support, SCSI device
47 >support must be set to yes, and then SCSI low-level drivers must be
48 >enabled/selected for this and other sub-options to appear.
49 >
50 >So I would suggest heading back to menuconfig and enabling what needs to
51 >be enabled, and then the option itself when it appears, naturally.
52 >
53 Thank you for your reply. I think I have all the stuff enabled as I see
54 plenty of other SCSI adapters like Adaptec, QLogic, and others. What
55 does the "&& BROKEN" mean? Is it "broken" and that's why I don't see it?
56
57 Thanks,
58
59 Drew
62 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
63 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
64
65 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list