From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advansys SCSI Support in 2.6.13-r5 Kernel?
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:46:06
1 Drew Tomlinson schreef:
2 > I am trying to upgrade from a 2.6.11 genkernel to 2.6.13-r5
3 > genkernel. However when booting, I get a message about root not being
4 > a valid root device and then a prompt to enter the correct one.
7 > <snip> it appears likely that my problem is that
8 > Advansys SCSI support is either not built into my kernel or is built
9 > as a module? In any event, I ran genkernel with the --menuconfig
10 > option to check it out. But I could not find Advansys support in the
11 > SCSI Low Level Drivers section. Searching on 'advansys' revealed
12 > this:
13 >
14 > Symbol: SCSI_ADVANSYS [=n]
15
16 Well, this means that the ADVANSYS support is not built at all (if it
17 was set to be built as a loadable module, it would say =m, and if it was
18 statically built into the kernel, it would say =y).
19
20 > Prompt: AdvanSys SCSI support
21 > Defined at drivers/scsi/Kconfig:401
22 > Depends on: (ISA || EISA || PCI) && SCSI && BROKEN Location:
23 > -> Device Drivers -> SCSI device support
24 > -> SCSI device support (SCSI [=y]) -> SCSI low-level
25 > drivers
26 >
27 > So why does this not show up in menuconfig and is there some way to
28 > turn this on?
29
30 The Depends on section tells you what is required for the option to appear.
31
32 In the Device Drivers section, under SCSI device support, SCSI device
33 support must be set to yes, and then SCSI low-level drivers must be
34 enabled/selected for this and other sub-options to appear.
35
36 So I would suggest heading back to menuconfig and enabling what needs to
37 be enabled, and then the option itself when it appears, naturally.
38
39 HTH,
40 Holly
41 --