From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:22:45
1 On Mittwoch, 16. April 2008, Eric Martin wrote:
2 > Roy Wright wrote:
3 > | Grant wrote:
4 > |>> An oc'ed cpu needs a lot more power&generates a lot more heat. Both
5 >
6 > can damage
7 >
8 > |>> the CPU AND the mobo (too much power might fry a regulator, or cook
9 >
10 > a cap).
11 >
12 > |>> Or it might overload the PSU - and then everything is possible. A
13 >
14 > damaged
15 >
16 > |>> mobo or psu can take a lot of stuff with it to hell.
17 > |>>
18 > |>> I hope you learnt your lesson: Overclocking is evil
19 > |>
20 > |> I'll never overclock again. I'm realizing how much more important
21 > |> reliability is compared to performance and low cost.
22 > |>
23 > |> - Grant
24 > |
25 > | That's been my thoughts until recently. I just built a system using a
26 > | Q9300 (45nm quad core) and decided to give OC a try. Bumped the clock
27 > | from 333MHz to 400MHz causing the CPU freq to increase from 2.5MHz to
28 > | 3.0MHz. DDR2-800 memory not OC'ed. Core temps under 4 core 100% load
29 > | using burnP5 only increased from 71C to 73C. This was with stock Intel
30 > | heat sink/fan/thermal paste (just the way Intel wants it). I just
31 > | ordered a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 to lower these.
32 > |
33 > | IMO, it looks like the Intel 45nm processors have some easy OC headroom.
34 > |
35 > | YMMV.
36 > |
37 > | Have fun,
38 > | Roy
39 >
40 > This may be untrue, but from what I've see that's the way it goes
41 > w/OC'ing; Intels have room to be overclocked and AMDs don't. The OP
42 > overclocked an AMD processor which I've always heard is a bad idea.
43
44 no, oc'ing is always a bad idea. And for the young ones: some years ago,
45 overclocking klilled masses of P4 cpus thanks to electro migration.
46
47 Don't oc. Its not worth the risks (silent data corruption, damage).
48 --
49 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list