From: Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Overclocked CPU killed motherboard and CD?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:31:53
1 Overclocking when done properly, is very safe. There are TONS of sites
2 out there to help with the research. And there are an equal ammount of
3 hardware that can safely support Overclocking.
4
5 So word from the wise (trial and error wise), take your time, do your
6 research and always take baby steps.
7
8 > no, oc'ing is always a bad idea. And for the young ones: some years ago,
9 > overclocking klilled masses of P4 cpus thanks to electro migration.
10 >
11 > Don't oc. Its not worth the risks (silent data corruption, damage).
12
13 Statements like this, bleed miseducation. Not every peice of hardware
14 is OC'able. You *must* research the parts in question. It's almost
15 always a safe bet to OC three things in very small increments.
16 Motherboard, CPU and RAM. If all these can't talk to each other at the
17 same speed, then you are dead in the water. No point in continueing.
18 GPU's are independant of the system as far as Overclockcing goes, so
19 if the GPU supports it, you can safely OC that. I would hedge my bets
20 though and make sure my AGP/PCIe slot has speed-based room to move
21 around in. That being said, for example, OC'ing an AGP 4x card to 8X
22 speeds, if you want it to work, you still have to have an 8x AGP
23 Slot..
24 --
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list