From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: waltdnes@××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 23:40:26
1 On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:57:07 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > How does one send email to *THIS* list, without being subscribed in
5 > the first place?
6
7 You can do that on sites like GMANE; similarly, given a message ID,
8 you can request that specific from the mailing list daemon to land in
9 your inbox, which allows you even do a signed reply to it.
10
11 As you can see; there are people that want to participate only when
12 they are interested in it, rather than flood their mailing program.
13
14 Let's say you have a bug when you unmount a filesystem; so, you go look
15 on the LKML if there's something known about it. You'll find:
16
17 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1671264
18
19 The thing is; you're not subscribed as you found it, yet you want to
20 reply to it without subscribing to its flood, what do? You send off a
21 single reply; then you expect someone that responds to CC you if that
22 person wants to tell / ask you something, otherwise you wouldn't know.
23
24 > But I'm not aware of any such mechanism on this list. If someone is
25 > involved in a thread here, then they've obviously subscribed here.
26 > So the CC: is redundant.
27
28 Invisible things are hard to be aware of; you assume that the person is
29 CC-ed, however, the person may have found the thread through GMANE _or_
30 the person might have been unsubscribed by the moment you make a reply.
31
32 We see similar things happen on IRC; someone asks a question, 2 or 3
33 minutes later they are gone. Sometimes they ask a question, but receive
34 no answer so they are gone 20 or 30 minutes later. Similarly; we're now
35 a month later in this ML thread, who says people are still subscribed?
36
37 On IRC, if you pay notice to the many join/part/quits and don't filter
38 them, you can still spot that with awareness; however, on ML you can't.
41 With kind regards,
42
43 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
44 Gentoo Developer
45
46 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
47 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
48 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D