From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't figure out gcc-4.9 blocker
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 22:18:33
1 On 2016-05-13, waltdnes@××××××××.org <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 >> So, I uninstalled gcc 4.9 and all older versions except 4.6.
4 >
5 > Ouch! I was asking what you had, not suggesting removing anything yet.
6 > I would've recommended removing the old versions and keeping 4.9.3 if
7 > anything.
8
9 Well, I had never tried 4.9.3, and I'd been using 4.6 without problems
10 for some time, so keeping 4.6 seemed like the safe way to go. I still
11 don't understand what broke 4.6.
12
13 >> I then removed 4.6 from the world file (but left it installed).
14 >>
15 >> emerge is now happy and willing to upgrade gcc from 4.6 to 4.9 -- but
16 >> it can't: now the build of 4.9.3 is failing. It appears I can no
17 >> longer build _anything_.
18 >>
19 >> My system seems to be well and truly borked.
20 >
21 > See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1009338-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html
22 > where someone else destroyed their gcc, and downloaded and untarred a
23 > binary tarball of gcc, to save their system.
24
25 I built a few binary gcc packages on different Gentoo installs using
26 quickpkg. The first couple didn't work, but I eventually found a
27 machine whose gcc binaries will run on my broken box. I've now got a
28 binary install of gcc-4.9.3 that seems to be working. It's been
29 building gcc 4.9.3 for about 15 minutes now (building it with 4.6
30 would fail within 15-20 seconds).
31
32 > I can't seem to get http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org to respond. Was
33 > that part of the re-organization of the gentoo.org website?
34
35 Tinderbox's owner pulled the plug on it a couple years ago. AFAIR, it
36 didn't have anything to do with the website reort.
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is a tattoo real, like
40 at a curb or a battleship?
41 gmail.com Or are we suffering in
42 Safeway?