From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't figure out gcc-4.9 blocker
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 22:51:03
1 On 2016-05-13, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Well, I had never tried 4.9.3, and I'd been using 4.6 without problems
4 > for some time, so keeping 4.6 seemed like the safe way to go. I still
5 > don't understand what broke 4.6.
6
7 I must have been using 4.9 for a while and then switched back to 4.6
8 when I ran across something that wouldn't build with 4.9. That would
9 explain why packages could no longer be built with 4.6. If I
10 understand correctly, there's no guarantee that you can build packages
11 with a gcc version that's older than that used to build libraries that
12 are used by the package being built.
13
14 The good news: the emerge of gcc 4.9.3 (from sources) using a gcc
15 4.9.3 binary package seems to have worked, and it looks like things
16 are building normally now.
17
18 I'm pretty sure this all would have been avoided if I had told
19 gcc-config to switch to 4.9.3 and then let emerge remove the older
20 versions of gcc. :)
23 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! And furthermore,
24 at my bowling average is
25 gmail.com unimpeachable!!!