From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:55:19
1 On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, January 31, 2012 6:30 pm, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 06:05:12PM +0100, Michael Hampicke wrote
6 >>>>> Sweet. I had 15 minutes in the office "how long before someone makes a
7 >>>> pointless, unrelated Windows insult out of my post" pool; I just won
8 >>>> $5.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> I was using Win3.1 - and was happy with it
11 >>>> I was using Win95 - and was happy with it
12 >>>> I was using WinNT4 - and was happy with it
13 >>>> I was using Win2000 - and was happy with it
14 >>>> I was using Win Server 2003 - and was happy with it
15 >>>> I was using Win7 - and was happy with it
16 >>>>
17 >>>> And I am also a Linux SuSe user since 6.0 and Gentoo user since
18 >>>> 1.something (but up until now just on the servers).
19 >>>>
20 >>>> I made the final switch from Windows to Linux on my Workstation (Gentoo)
21 >>>> and Notebook (Lubuntu) only a few month ago.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> So please, don't accuse me of making Windows insults.
24 >>>
25 >>>   I feel that Win98SE was the best Windows ever, and could've been even
26 >>> more of a killer if Microsoft hadn't so stupidly tried to ram ActiveX
27 >>> down people's throats.  Remove ActiveX, and 99% of "drive-by-downloads"
28 >>> would've disappeared.  WinME was a sad joke, however.
29 >>
30 >> I enjoyed MS Dos, then played a bit with MS Win3.11, MS Win95 and MS Win98SE.
31 >> However, for important stuff, like day-to-day desktop, I switched to Linux
32 >> in 1997. That was the last time I lost files due to a crash of MS
33 >> Windows...
34 >>
35 >> --
36 >> Joost
42 > When 3.1 came out, I changed jobs.  Swapping 15 floppies is no fun to
43 > me.  Funny, reinstalling fixed the problems back then and it still is
44 > the best way to fix windoze.
45 >
46 > < sighs >
47
48 Actually, the reason for that's pretty easy to explain. It's because
49 Windows, unlike every major Linux distribution since Apt, wasn't
50 designed around pulling software from centralized repositories.
51 Instead, ISVs were expected to provide installers, which users were
52 expected to obtain from outside channels and run. That seems archaic
53 to Linux users, but even Red Hat was like that before yum.
54
55 Since there was no centralized, curated software repository maintained
56 by people ensuring things worked properly together, you got everything
57 from DLL hell to developers violating Microsoft's recommendations
58 (and, considering that Microsoft *designed the platform*, you can
59 consider their recommendations as part of the platform spec) and good
60 development practice. So you have things like:
61
62 * People bypassing APIs and munging registry keys directly. This would
63 be like a Linux app going in and modifying Debian's package database
64 without going through an intermediate library kept in lockstep with
65 the package manager code. Eventually, one's going to behave in a way
66 the other isn't going to expect, and either the package database will
67 become corrupt ("f'ing $OSVENDOR! Their stuff keeps breaking!", the
68 user will curse), or the application will stop working ("F'ing
69 $OSVENDOR! They keep breaking my stuff!")
70
71 * People not bothering to understand DLL search paths, and getting
72 into the habit of dropping their DLL into the SYSTEM32 folder. That
73 would be like manually building and installing a package to /usr/
74 instead of /usr/local, or a library in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib with
75 an improper soname. Eventually, you risk changing the behavior of an
76 unrelated app, or having an unrelated app change your app's behavior,
77 all because a couple DLLs had the same name and no differentiating
78 metadata.
79
80 * People only ever testing their programs while they have
81 Administrator privileges, and so their programs only ever work
82 correctly while running as Administrator. This would be like an app
83 found in /usr/bin assuming it can write anywhere it pleases, call any
84 API call it needs, and doing some marginally unsafe things with system
85 calls. To get it to work properly, you'd have to make it suid root,
86 and it'd be a vulnerability vector.
87
88 The analogies aren't perfect, but the points still stand. Sad thing
89 is, if and when Microsoft takes steps toward a repository model (these
90 days, people like to call them app stores) they'll be lambasted as
91 being evil for applying a gateway to the platform, even though it's
92 going to be a necessary step to fixing a lot of what's wrong with the
93 development culture on that platform.
94
95 Linux isn't perfect in these regards, but the combination of being
96 open source, of distros having their own software repositories and of
97 distro maintainers feeding fixes upstream is an exceedingly effective
98 combination. Linux systems don't accrue systemic cruft nearly as
99 rapidly as Windows systems, in large part because of the forced
100 cooperation applied by the LSB and by distro maintainers.
101
102 Cruft buildup can still happen, though, and that's why "emerge -e
103 @world" exists. And, actually, that's a pretty analogous action to
104 reinstalling Windows. It's just much easier, and does a better job of
105 retaining user and application settings.
108 :wq