From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:42:54
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Tue, January 31, 2012 6:30 pm, Walter Dnes wrote:
6 >>>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 06:05:12PM +0100, Michael Hampicke wrote
7 >>>>>> Sweet. I had 15 minutes in the office "how long before someone makes a
8 >>>>> pointless, unrelated Windows insult out of my post" pool; I just won
9 >>>>> $5.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I was using Win3.1 - and was happy with it
12 >>>>> I was using Win95 - and was happy with it
13 >>>>> I was using WinNT4 - and was happy with it
14 >>>>> I was using Win2000 - and was happy with it
15 >>>>> I was using Win Server 2003 - and was happy with it
16 >>>>> I was using Win7 - and was happy with it
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> And I am also a Linux SuSe user since 6.0 and Gentoo user since
19 >>>>> 1.something (but up until now just on the servers).
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> I made the final switch from Windows to Linux on my Workstation (Gentoo)
22 >>>>> and Notebook (Lubuntu) only a few month ago.
23 >>>>>
24 >>>>> So please, don't accuse me of making Windows insults.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> I feel that Win98SE was the best Windows ever, and could've been even
27 >>>> more of a killer if Microsoft hadn't so stupidly tried to ram ActiveX
28 >>>> down people's throats. Remove ActiveX, and 99% of "drive-by-downloads"
29 >>>> would've disappeared. WinME was a sad joke, however.
30 >>>
31 >>> I enjoyed MS Dos, then played a bit with MS Win3.11, MS Win95 and MS Win98SE.
32 >>> However, for important stuff, like day-to-day desktop, I switched to Linux
33 >>> in 1997. That was the last time I lost files due to a crash of MS
34 >>> Windows...
35 >>>
36 >>> --
37 >>> Joost
38 >>>
39 >>>
40 >>>
43 >> When 3.1 came out, I changed jobs. Swapping 15 floppies is no fun to
44 >> me. Funny, reinstalling fixed the problems back then and it still is
45 >> the best way to fix windoze.
46 >>
47 >> < sighs >
48 >
49 > Actually, the reason for that's pretty easy to explain. It's because
50 > Windows, unlike every major Linux distribution since Apt, wasn't
51 > designed around pulling software from centralized repositories.
52 > Instead, ISVs were expected to provide installers, which users were
53 > expected to obtain from outside channels and run. That seems archaic
54 > to Linux users, but even Red Hat was like that before yum.
55 >
56 > Since there was no centralized, curated software repository maintained
57 > by people ensuring things worked properly together, you got everything
58 > from DLL hell to developers violating Microsoft's recommendations
59 > (and, considering that Microsoft *designed the platform*, you can
60 > consider their recommendations as part of the platform spec) and good
61 > development practice. So you have things like:
62 >
63 > * People bypassing APIs and munging registry keys directly. This would
64 > be like a Linux app going in and modifying Debian's package database
65 > without going through an intermediate library kept in lockstep with
66 > the package manager code. Eventually, one's going to behave in a way
67 > the other isn't going to expect, and either the package database will
68 > become corrupt ("f'ing $OSVENDOR! Their stuff keeps breaking!", the
69 > user will curse), or the application will stop working ("F'ing
70 > $OSVENDOR! They keep breaking my stuff!")
71 >
72 > * People not bothering to understand DLL search paths, and getting
73 > into the habit of dropping their DLL into the SYSTEM32 folder. That
74 > would be like manually building and installing a package to /usr/
75 > instead of /usr/local, or a library in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib with
76 > an improper soname. Eventually, you risk changing the behavior of an
77 > unrelated app, or having an unrelated app change your app's behavior,
78 > all because a couple DLLs had the same name and no differentiating
79 > metadata.
80 >
81 > * People only ever testing their programs while they have
82 > Administrator privileges, and so their programs only ever work
83 > correctly while running as Administrator. This would be like an app
84 > found in /usr/bin assuming it can write anywhere it pleases, call any
85 > API call it needs, and doing some marginally unsafe things with system
86 > calls. To get it to work properly, you'd have to make it suid root,
87 > and it'd be a vulnerability vector.
88 >
89 > The analogies aren't perfect, but the points still stand. Sad thing
90 > is, if and when Microsoft takes steps toward a repository model (these
91 > days, people like to call them app stores) they'll be lambasted as
92 > being evil for applying a gateway to the platform, even though it's
93 > going to be a necessary step to fixing a lot of what's wrong with the
94 > development culture on that platform.
95 >
96 > Linux isn't perfect in these regards, but the combination of being
97 > open source, of distros having their own software repositories and of
98 > distro maintainers feeding fixes upstream is an exceedingly effective
99 > combination. Linux systems don't accrue systemic cruft nearly as
100 > rapidly as Windows systems, in large part because of the forced
101 > cooperation applied by the LSB and by distro maintainers.
102 >
103 > Cruft buildup can still happen, though, and that's why "emerge -e
104 > @world" exists. And, actually, that's a pretty analogous action to
105 > reinstalling Windows. It's just much easier, and does a better job of
106 > retaining user and application settings.
110 So basically, WINDOZE SUCKS !!!! LOL
111
112 Dale
113
117 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
118 how you interpreted my words!
119
120 Miss the compile output? Hint:
121 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"