From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:43:19
1 >On 26 September 2011 20:29, Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
2 >wrote:
3 >>>> between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a
4 >>>> cracked boot, with little in the way of switching between the two,
5 >>>> at least initially
6 >>>
7 >>>And you really need not worry about it, some geek (Torvalds?) will
8 >>>surely find out a way.
9 >>
10 >> yes, there will most likely be a technical way to circumvent it. the
11 >> problem is that involved companies might try (and likely succeed) to
12 >> make that illegal.
13 >
14 >Unfortunately, under the DMCA, breaking any encryption /
15 >copy-protection mechanism is illegal under US copyright law of all
16 >things (and by extension, globally :-/ ). I listened to a pretty
17 >interesting debate about this related to the "Right to Repair" act in
18 >the States, which relates to the right to access car firmware /
19 >software. The consensus seems to be that the pitifully easy-to-crack
20 >encryption is only there so that the software becomes covered by the
21 >DMCA. What a mess.
24 agreed.
25
26 still there might be different ways. replacing the whole bios
27 chip (or software) with something different for example. then you
28 technically didn't break any encryption, so no dmca.
29 but i still think that would sooner or later get you in trouble if you
30 offer that service commercially.