From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:24:05
1 On 26 September 2011 20:29, Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net> wrote:
2 >>> between a fully-signed system (Windows 9 / OS XI or so) or a cracked
3 >>> boot, with little in the way of switching between the two, at least
4 >>> initially
5 >>
6 >>And you really need not worry about it, some geek (Torvalds?) will
7 >>surely find out a way.
8 >
9 > yes, there will most likely be a technical way to circumvent it. the
10 > problem is that involved companies might try (and likely succeed) to
11 > make that illegal.
12
13 Unfortunately, under the DMCA, breaking any encryption /
14 copy-protection mechanism is illegal under US copyright law of all
15 things (and by extension, globally :-/ ). I listened to a pretty
16 interesting debate about this related to the "Right to Repair" act in
17 the States, which relates to the right to access car firmware /
18 software. The consensus seems to be that the pitifully easy-to-crack
19 encryption is only there so that the software becomes covered by the
20 DMCA. What a mess.