From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to switch laptop to usb keyboard
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 04:24:56
1 On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:31:41 -0800
2 Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Still no luck here, as this is new to me. Really, I'm lost on the
5 > process... figured it would just work, which it does, except that I
6 > don't have number keys... on either keyboard. So, why is *that*?
7 >
8 > What should I be trying to do next?
9
10 If xev (x11-apps/xev) shows generated events and a keycodes when you
11 press these keys (on either KB), you can bind them for any purpose you
12 wish (including KP_*) via xmodmap (x11-apps/xmodmap). Just hack
13 together an ~/.xmodmaprc file, looking like this:
14
15 keycode 100 = KP_4
16 keycode 102 = KP_6
17 keycode 98 = KP_8
18 keycode 104 = KP_2
19 ...
20
21 and add 'xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc' line to some X/WM init script.
22 Note that the keycodes probably won't be the same for you, but you can
23 get them from xev output.
26 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net