From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 03:26:37
1 On 2019-01-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 1/17/19 2:52 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Apparently they're going to try to pry grub-0.97 from my cold dead
4 >> fingers...
5 >>
6 >> Is there any documentation on how to do a basic minimal grub:2
7 >> install?
8 >>
9 >> I really don't want any of the auto-magical, devs know better than I
10 >> do what I want, os-probing, hide all the details from the stupid user,
11 >> config file generator stuff installed. I just want the bare minimum
12 >> required to boot using a hand-edited grub.conf file.
13 >>
14 >> There doesn't seem to be a USE flag...
15 >
16 > As someone else mentioned you can mask grub-mkconfig. I didn't bother,
17 > it isn't run automatically.
18
19 I should have known that on Gentoo it wouldn't be. I ought to think
20 about starting to switch to grub2. On one of my simpler installs, I
21 may try out the chainloading from grub to grub2 scheme documented at
22
23 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Migration
24
25 I often need to install grub2 in a partition instead of the MBR, and
26 these are good references.
27
28 https://github.com/alberthdev/alberthdev-misc/wiki/Installing-GRUB2-to-a-Partition
29 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_partition_or_partitionless_disk
30
31 The Arch wiki also has some good tips on manually creating a grub2
32 config file:
33
34 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Custom_grub.cfg
35
36 [If you can't find what you're looking for on the Gentoo web site, the
37 Arch linux site is an excellent resource. I've learned to ignore
38 Google hits that point to Ubuntu forums...]