From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 21:00:14
1 On 2019-01-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2019-01-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> As someone else mentioned you can mask grub-mkconfig. I didn't bother,
5 >> it isn't run automatically.
6 >
7 > I should have known that on Gentoo it wouldn't be. I ought to think
8 > about starting to switch to grub2. On one of my simpler installs, I
9 > may try out the chainloading from grub to grub2 scheme documented at
10 >
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Migration
12
13 I had some spare time while watching a Windows 10 machine while away a
14 few hours doing updates (WTF does it take so long? Is it rebuilding
15 everything from sources?). So, I decided to give the above migration
16 scheme a try on one of my "simple" machines, and it worked swimmingly
17 except the auto-generated grub.cfg file fell over. I was not
18 surprised. The kernel started to boot, but then locked up at the point
19 where the video mode switches.
20
21 Fortunately, the chainloading scheme allows you to reboot into a
22 working system via grub-0.97 and tweak things until grub-2 works. I
23 manually created a grub.cfg file, and it worked fine. Then I did a
24 final 'grub2-install', uninstalled grub:0, and all that's left is to
25 clean the grub:0 files out of /boot/grub.
26
27 I'm still amazed by the giant mess that grub2-mkconfig spits out.
28 It's 90X larger than my manually generated config file:
29
30 # grub2-mkconfig 2>/dev/null | wc
31 438 1661 17888
32
33 # wc boot/grub/grub.cfg
34 10 17 200 boot/grub/grub.cfg
37 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! But they went to MARS
38 at around 1953!!
39 gmail.com