From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal grub:2 install? [grub:0 being removed]
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:47:35
1 On Friday, 18 January 2019 20:57:45 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2019-01-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 2019-01-18, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> As someone else mentioned you can mask grub-mkconfig. I didn't bother,
5 > >> it isn't run automatically.
6 > >
7 > > I should have known that on Gentoo it wouldn't be. I ought to think
8 > > about starting to switch to grub2. On one of my simpler installs, I
9 > > may try out the chainloading from grub to grub2 scheme documented at
10 > >
11 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Migration
12 >
13 > I had some spare time while watching a Windows 10 machine while away a
14 > few hours doing updates (WTF does it take so long? Is it rebuilding
15 > everything from sources?). So, I decided to give the above migration
16 > scheme a try on one of my "simple" machines, and it worked swimmingly
17 > except the auto-generated grub.cfg file fell over. I was not
18 > surprised. The kernel started to boot, but then locked up at the point
19 > where the video mode switches.
20 >
21 > Fortunately, the chainloading scheme allows you to reboot into a
22 > working system via grub-0.97 and tweak things until grub-2 works. I
23 > manually created a grub.cfg file, and it worked fine. Then I did a
24 > final 'grub2-install', uninstalled grub:0, and all that's left is to
25 > clean the grub:0 files out of /boot/grub.
26 >
27 > I'm still amazed by the giant mess that grub2-mkconfig spits out.
28 > It's 90X larger than my manually generated config file:
29 >
30 > # grub2-mkconfig 2>/dev/null | wc
31 > 438 1661 17888
32 >
33 > # wc boot/grub/grub.cfg
34 > 10 17 200 boot/grub/grub.cfg
35
36 There's also extlinux of the syslinux project. I'm thinking of giving this a
37 spin on an old system of mine. It's pretty minimalist, doesn't need re-
38 installing after adding a new kernel[1] and it will boot FAT, NTFS, ext2/3/4,
39 Btrfs, XFS, UFS/FFS, so it should cover my needs.
40
41 [1] I'm used to manually editing /boot/grub/grub.conf with legacy grub anyway,
42 so extlinux is no different.
43 --
44 Regards,
45 Mick