From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:00:23
1 On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM, John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > on Tuesday 04/29/2008 Alan McKinnon(alan.mckinnon@×××××.com) wrote
3 >
4 > > On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
5 > > > > This kind of gratuitous change is bullshit and *really* ticks me
6 > > > > off as useful important stuff just *goes away*
7 > > >
8 > > > I don't want to comment about the change. However, you could have
9 > > > found out easily all the available profiles by doing "eselect profile
10 > > > list":
11 > > >
12 > > > # eselect profile list
13 > > > Available profile symlink targets:
14 > >
15 > > Fair enough, except that I maintain make.profile manually using ln. Same
16 > > with /usr/src/linux. And I've been doing that since my first install
17 > > and have never needed to look for a front end tool that can replace one
18 > > simple command with one simple command.
19 > >
20 > > In fact, I didn't even know about this feature of eselect till 5 minutes
21 > > ago. So now there are two useful and important things that were not
22 > > communicated to users.
25 > OK, what will I gain if I change the profile from
26 > /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop to
27 > /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0 (I don't even have a
28 > 2008.0 -- maybe I need to sync)? Will it unmaks useful packages or
29 > someting?
30 >
31 > Thanks.
34 I was wondering that myself. I suspect you can change the profile and
35 then look at something like emerge -pvDuN world and see what it would
36 do.
37
38 I use eselect but didn't know about this profile option. Nice.
39
40 - Mark
41 --
42 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list