From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:57:18
1 on Tuesday 04/29/2008 Alan McKinnon(alan.mckinnon@×××××.com) wrote
2 > On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3 > > > This kind of gratuitous change is bullshit and *really* ticks me
4 > > > off as useful important stuff just *goes away*
5 > >
6 > > I don't want to comment about the change. However, you could have
7 > > found out easily all the available profiles by doing "eselect profile
8 > > list":
9 > >
10 > > # eselect profile list
11 > > Available profile symlink targets:
12 >
13 > Fair enough, except that I maintain make.profile manually using ln. Same
14 > with /usr/src/linux. And I've been doing that since my first install
15 > and have never needed to look for a front end tool that can replace one
16 > simple command with one simple command.
17 >
18 > In fact, I didn't even know about this feature of eselect till 5 minutes
19 > ago. So now there are two useful and important things that were not
20 > communicated to users.
23 OK, what will I gain if I change the profile from
24 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop to
25 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0 (I don't even have a
26 2008.0 -- maybe I need to sync)? Will it unmaks useful packages or
27 someting?
28
29 Thanks.
32 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
33 How do
34 you spend it?
35
36 John Covici