From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMTP Relay
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 00:42:29
1 On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Auto Protection Info
2 <papezulma@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>That looks like a mass mailer. Do you need to send thousands of emails
4 >
5 > No, but around 2000 emails a day maybe as maximum.
6 >
7 > I managed to configure correctly the relay, does anyone have a suggestion
8 > for a free SMTP relay service please?
11 Best of luck with that, but I'd be shocked if one exists.
12
13 Any SMTP relay that can actually get mail delivered to anybody needs
14 to ensure that their service isn't used to send spam, or they'll
15 quickly find that they can't get mail delivered to anybody.
16
17 If it is really easy to sign up with no identification and the service
18 is free/etc, then it is going to be almost impossible to keep spammers
19 from abusing the service.
20
21 If somebody is offering a free SMTP relay service I'd be surprised if
22 it has a poor reputation and the reality is that your mail is all
23 ending up in spam folders, if it gets delivered at all.
24
25 There are tons of services that are relatively inexpensive. They're
26 all going to make you pay by credit card and such so that it isn't
27 trivial to just burn through accounts. They'll have a TOS they're
28 going to hold you to as well.
29
30 I found Amazon SES really easy to set up, and it can work just fine as
31 an SMTP relay, but with the caveat that they only want you sending
32 mail "From" your own domains (and they're going to check that you
33 control those domains). They also have some limits on volume that you
34 need to contact them to raise. I have no idea what that involves. I
35 suspect it mostly involves somebody just making sure you seem to run
36 some kind of legit service.
37
38 Alas, all of this stuff is the price of spam. If somebody delivering
39 mail doesn't keep their service clear of spam they're going to end up
40 being blacklisted by the big service providers and they'll quickly go
41 out of business. And that is why SMTP relay is generally not free.
42
43 As long as you're legit it should be easy to set something up, just
44 don't expect to do it for free, and obviously don't expect to be able
45 to use it for spam...
48 Rich