From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: amd64 installation: which file system?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:07:34
1 On Wednesday 19 July 2006 05:31, James wrote:
2
3 > Yes HP is one of them. Purchased the system through Office Depot.
4 > Will not make this mistake again.
5
6 In the UK at least HP sell refurbished and slightly obsolete components with
7 one year warranty on ebay. If you bid when the footy, Wimbledon, etc., is on
8 the telly you can get a pretty descent box for a relatively low price. Of
9 course, there's morons who keep outbidding themselves and push up prices for
10 everyone else . . . but even so it's worth looking into it. Buying HP_Compaq
11 from a shop is an absolute no-no, unless they're throwing the darn things
12 out. It occasionally happens, but not that often. Unfortunately, with a low
13 price comes the 'compaqified' installation image. The best solution that I
14 have found is to shrink the partition with gparted *before* the machine is
15 ever booted up and image this smaller partition onto a DVD - should you ever
16 want to resell the computer.
19 > > If these are new systems, I would give HP support a call and demand
20 > > they send you the WinXP OEM installation CD.
21
22 They will. But at a price (not much) and guess what, it is an image of the
23 original installation which as far as I recall requires the whole of the disk
24 for it to be installed again! Can you believe them!
25
26 > After blowing away the NTFS (XP) stuff via reformatting. I'm going to
27 > see if I can install/restore XP from the backup partition to
28 > the newly reduced 30Meg partition.
29
30 Surprise me if this works
31 > If HP forces me to choose between gentoo and XP, by_by XP.
34 > Yes I know the 10.6 gig of XP will fit, what I was looking for
35 > is an opinion on blowing away the orginal XP on the 85 gig partition,
36 > reformatting with several new partitions for Gentoo and XP and using
37 > the XP restore from the 9 gig partition as the end of the drive, where
38 > the HP-XP restore software is located.
39
40 Surprise me again for the reasons mentioned above. I believe that it will
41 either overwrite the partitions you've created or bomb out with an error.
42
43 > If nobody posts a better idea by tomorrow morning, it's by by XP.....
44
45 I have been successful with a number of 32bit HP-Compaq machines by doing the
46 following:
47
48 Boot into WinXP and uninstall all system software and applications (e.g.
49 Windoze IM, Outlook Express, etc.) that you do not need. Refrag the machine
50 using the native defrag application from the Administrative Tools. Reboot
51 <--> defrag. Repeat the cycle of rebooting and defragging a couple more
52 times until there is no discernible fragmentation. Use gparted to resize the
53 partition and create new as required. So far I had no failures, although on
54 some older machines with low memory the shrinking can take absolute ages (it
55 doesn't fail, just takes forever).
56
57 > > > Is there any free download software (even if it's a binary) to
58 > > > defrag this ntfs partition, for an amd64 ? Googling for
59 > > > {O&ODefrag +amd64 } does not produce anything useful.
60
61 Please forgive me if I have missed a critical point in this thread - why does
62 it have to be 64bit? Won't the WinXP 32bit defrag tool do the job?
63 --
64 Regards,
65 Mick