From: Craig Zeigler <craig@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wpc54g card as AP -- works?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:59:07
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 07:21:25 -0400
6 >Craig Zeigler <craig@×××××××.net> wrote:
10 >>This is a pretty cool idea, but I wonder what the range on something
11 >>like this is. Considering that the transmitting capability of a PCMCIA
12 >>card isn't very high. Do you risk burning out the card or the slot by
13 >>forcing more power to it? will the PCMCIA bus permit diverting more
14 >>power to a card?
18 >Huh? "Forcing more power to the card"?!? You mean, increase the
19 >current? Or how else do you want to archieve that? Nah, this wouldn't
20 >work. You'd have to set up power level by means of the pcmcia card,
21 >that is by using "iwconfig ... power ...", in most cases.
22 >
23 >Well, and I know a few PCMCIA cards that do 100mWatts output. In fact,
24 >a whole bunch of APs internally use standard WLAN cards that are just
25 >flashed with a different Firmware.
26 >
27 >-hwh
30 thats pretty cool to know. When I take a PCMCIA card out of my laptop
31 its quite hot. I was just wondering if asking it to draw more power (in
32 oncrease transmit power) would pose a cooling problem. The APs have the
33 benefit of at least convection cooling. not to mention better antennas.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list