From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing SSD? (Somewhat OT)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:17:00
1 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Well, I sure haven't had much luck with SSDs. This will be the third one
4 > I've lost.
5
6 + Buy good hardware.
7 + Never store anything on only a single disk (with very few exceptions).
8 + Do not put swap partitions on single disks, either.
9 + Disks always come in pairs at least.
10
11 SSDs, I'd currently buy Samsung 850 pro or evo, depending on how they
12 are going to be used.
13
14 > yesterday bought a new SSD, this time a SanDisk model. It was cheap and
15 > I hope I don't regret this in the future.
16
17 Well, you get what you pay for. To me, all the hassle a failed disk (or
18 other hardware) will give me isn't worth saving a bit of money on it.
19
20 Since you got it cheap, why not buy another one and use RAID-1 (and/or
21 zfs)? When one fails, shutdown, replace the failed disk, restart --- no
22 hassle involved.
23
24 > That aside, the drive that failed is a Crucial m4. I have done some
25 > searching as how to run diagnostics on an SSD.
26
27 When you get sector errors reported in the log file when accessing the
28 disk, the disk has failed (provided that the cabling and power supply
29 are ok). This goes for hard disks --- are SSDs any different in that?
30
31 Other than that, I don't need any more diagnostics. It would only tell
32 me what I already know.
33
34 > I usually send them back for warranty, but this time I'm curious.
35
36 Without physically destroying it, I won't give any disk out of hand
37 which has had my data on it. Unfortunately, that probably means that
38 there is no warranty on disks. I only take the duration of the warranty
39 as some indicator of what the manufacturer entrusts the disk with, as in
40 "5 years may be better than 3".
41
42 In practice, hard disks either fail not long after new, or after about 3
43 years, or virtually never because they are replaced for other reasons
44 before they fail. SSDs might be different; I don't have much experience
45 with them yet.
49 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
50 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.