From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 14:30:15
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 5 May 2006 18:49:29 +0530 Farhan Ahmed
4 <farhanahmed06@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > The difference is: with -j2 box is slow. A lot of packages do not
7 > > compile because of ooms.
8 > >
9 > > with -j1 box is normal. No ooms. Compiling does not take longer as
10 > > with -j2.
11 >
12 > This is the first time I'm hearing this.. Even with -j2 my system
13 > functions normally.. Has anyone encountered same problem?
14
15 Not really. GCC does eat some memory, but it's not that worse. Well,
16 this does absolutely depend on RAM+Swap. Whenever I had oom conditions
17 in the past 4 years, that was because of a leaky, long-running
18 application. I've yet to see a gcc process that claims 100MB of
19 physical memory. I did see Apache eat such an amount of mem after
20 running some days and calling leaky skripts (integrated as a module, of
21 course).
22
23 Another way to get OOMs here would probably to limit maximum memory
24 usage too much.
25
26 The only thing that breaks -j<N> for make are Makefiles that base on
27 broken assumptions. Those Makefiles are buggy and to be reported.
28
29 Running -j<N> for N>1 on a UP machine won't likely bring too much
30 speed. It may have some small positive effects due to better
31 distribution of IO load and process creation. That's the real culprit
32 when compiling: Lots of context switches for each make process. So what
33 probably gives a little more speed is setting the scheduler HZ value to
34 >100 (but this isn't the default any more). "vmstat" is a good tool to
35 >monitor the amount of context switches.
38 -hwh
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list