From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Null Modem Cables Between Windoze XP and Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:49:42
1 On Saturday 24 June 2006 15:49, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > I dug out of this ancient computer book (Upgrading and Repairing PCs
3 > 12th Ed.) this relic technology of the Null Modem Cable. It's a
4 > twisted Parallel Cable that allows 2 PCs to almost literally talk to
5 > each other. So, I found in the depths of some old computer hardware
6 > box this old Symantec null modem cable, plugged it between my X40 and
7 > XP Desktop, and hoped for the best. I was able to configure XP as the
8 > host with no difficulties, however, I'm not sure what to do about
9 > Linux. I'm looking though Kuroo for things about Null Modems, but I'd
10 > imagine there's a more command-line friendly way to do this, since I
11 > am very much pro-command line.
14 ---snip---
15
16 The problem you'll face is the protocols on both ends of the wire will have to
17 be the same. That said, you won't have much luck. However, I ran a similar
18 setup between two linux computers using plip... Something like a poor mans
19 ethernet.
20
21 Good luck
22 --