From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 09:48:30
1 On Sat, April 20, 2013 17:38, Jarry wrote:
2 > On 20-Apr-13 17:00, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >> Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
5 >> for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
6 >> issues/questions apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not
7 >> change anything)?
8 >
9 > Problem of virtualized filesystem is not that it is virtualized,
10 > but that it is located on datastore with more virtual systems,
11 > all of them competing for the same i/o. *That* is the bottleneck.
12 > If you switch reiser for xfs or btrfs, you might win (or loose)
13 > a few %. If you optimize your esxi-datastore design, you might
14 > win much more than what you have ever dreamed of.
15
16 If the underlying I/O is fast enough with low seek-times and high
17 throughput, that handling multiple VMs using a lot of disk I/O
18 simultaneously isn't a problem. Provided the Host has sufficient resources
19 (think memory and dedicated CPU) to handle it.
20
21 > I have 8 VMs (out of them 6 are Gentoo) hosted on ESXi, intended
22 > for various tasks (mail, dns, mysql, web, etc), moderately loaded.
23 > I used hw-raid controller with 2x sata-hdd in raid1 but performance
24 > was quite dissapointing and I experienced all sorts of i/o jams.
25
26 Which hw-raid controller did you use?
27 RAID-1 (mirroring) isn't actually known for high performance.
28
29 > Then I switched hdd for ssd (yes I use 2 of them in raid1, even
30 > if this is not generally recommended) and performance rocks now!
31 > I can start now kernel compilation on all 6 VMs at the same time,
32 > with near-zero performance penalty (depending on cpu/vcpu ratio
33 > and number of threads used). Unthinkable with hdd-based datastore.
34
35 I have HDD-based datastores and can do this on 4 VMs (single quad-core
36 CPU) without any penalty.
37
38 > I would definitely recommend using SSD. Either directly as
39 > datastore for VMs, or at least as EXSi host-cache. There is
40 > also possibility of "hybrid-raid" (1xSSD and 1xHDD in raid1)
41 > on some raid-controllers. Or if your pocket is really deep,
42 > you could grab one of those FusionIO-cards to avoid being
43 > limited by rather slow sata-interface (SSD for PCIe)...
44
45 A decent hardware raid-controller with multiple disks running in a higher
46 raid version is cheaper then the same storage capacity in SSDs.
49 Joost