From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:40:33
1 On 20-Apr-13 17:00, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
4 > for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
5 > issues/questions apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not
6 > change anything)?
7
8 Problem of virtualized filesystem is not that it is virtualized,
9 but that it is located on datastore with more virtual systems,
10 all of them competing for the same i/o. *That* is the bottleneck.
11 If you switch reiser for xfs or btrfs, you might win (or loose)
12 a few %. If you optimize your esxi-datastore design, you might
13 win much more than what you have ever dreamed of.
14
15 I have 8 VMs (out of them 6 are Gentoo) hosted on ESXi, intended
16 for various tasks (mail, dns, mysql, web, etc), moderately loaded.
17 I used hw-raid controller with 2x sata-hdd in raid1 but performance
18 was quite dissapointing and I experienced all sorts of i/o jams.
19 Then I switched hdd for ssd (yes I use 2 of them in raid1, even
20 if this is not generally recommended) and performance rocks now!
21 I can start now kernel compilation on all 6 VMs at the same time,
22 with near-zero performance penalty (depending on cpu/vcpu ratio
23 and number of threads used). Unthinkable with hdd-based datastore.
24
25 I would definitely recommend using SSD. Either directly as
26 datastore for VMs, or at least as EXSi host-cache. There is
27 also possibility of "hybrid-raid" (1xSSD and 1xHDD in raid1)
28 on some raid-controllers. Or if your pocket is really deep,
29 you could grab one of those FusionIO-cards to avoid being
30 limited by rather slow sata-interface (SSD for PCIe)...
31
32 Jarry
36 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
37 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.