From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome intrusion?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 02:10:46
1 On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:52:50PM +0000, Jorge Almeida wrote
2
3 > Good to know. I'm currently testing openbox without dbus-launch. No
4 > problem yet.
5 >
6 > It would be great to have some WiKi pages telling what some USE flag
7 > really do to particular packages, e.g, what does it mean to run
8 > firefox without dbus.
9
10 The current Pale Moon requires glib-dbus. I do my own custom builds
11 of Pale Moon for my personal use without dbus. I also have an ancient
12 32-bit-only Atom netbook. dbus is required for Necko-Wifi and Wakelock
13 in Pale Moon, and presumably also in Firefox...
14
15 Necko-Wifi - allows improved geo-location if you have wifi, which most
16 PCs have, even newer desktops. It works by scanning SSIDs in your
17 vicinity and comparing against a master global database. The local data
18 has to be sent off to a master database (e.g. Google) for the comparison.
19
20 Wakelock - is a generic API for grabbing a resource and not letting go
21 of it... https://www.w3.org/TR/wake-lock-use-cases/ It's mostly used
22 in mobile apps, but on the desktop it's used to disable the screensaver
23 while a long video is playing.
24
25 If you can do without Necko-Wifi and Wakelock, you don't need dbus.
26 Let me know off-list if you need any help custom-building Pale Moon.
27 You can also join the Pale Moon web forum https://forum.palemoon.org/
28 The linux section is https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=37
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications