From: cal <cal@×××××××××.technology>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] haven't been able to build android-tools for months
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:04:34
1 On 9/6/21 12:23 PM, n952162 wrote:
4 >> Given the error message implies a compiler error, perhaps try upgrading
5 >> sys-devel/gcc first?
8 > Aggh!
9 >
10 > 00~/adm/gentoo/emerged>eselect gcc list
11 >  [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.3.0 *
12 >  [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-10.3.0
15 > $ eselect news list | grep gcc
16 >
17 > doesn't turn up anything.  When should/may one upgrade?
18 >
19 > Thank you for the tip!   That's surely what's going on.
20
21 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC (note: most of the content
22 here appears to be related to upgrading to GCC 5.x).
23
24 Like the kernel, new versions of GCC are automatically pulled in, but
25 you have to eselect the new one manually (I don't know the reason; I
26 assume it is to avoid leaving the user with a broken compiler).
27 Personally, I just check the emerge output to see if a new version of
28 GCC was merged, and if so, I eselect it and rebuild libtool as described
29 on the wiki.
30
31 cal