From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my hard drive sick?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:28:25
1 Billy Holmes ha scritto:
2 > Quoting "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> I found your exact same symptoms, on a SATA hard disk. I frankly have
5 >> troubles in understanding the smartctl outputs (googled of course, but
6 >
7 > while I think the seek time metric is mostly informational and not
8 > really indicative of harddrive failure, my experience was different and
9 > I'll explain why.
10 >
11 > * my harddrive made strange noises at times.
12 > * it's seek time metric kept getting lower
13 >
14 > So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to take all this
15 > data in context.
16
17 Ok. What I did find most interesting, after some painful googling is:
18 http://scottstuff.net/blog/articles/2005/01/08/anatomy-of-a-drive-failure
19
20 It is of course anecdotical, but interesting. Basically it seems that
21 the seek_time_performance stuff is more or less noise, at least when it
22 oscillates.
23
24 However those lines I found in his opinion seem more worrisome:
25 Nov 21 03:52:23 voynich smartd[7451]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
26 Attribute: 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered changed from 253 to 252
27 Nov 21 04:22:23 voynich smartd[7451]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
28 Attribute: 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered changed from 252 to 253
29
30 what do you think about?
31
32 I already have looked for a new hard drive, and tonight I will launch an
33 extended self-test.
34
35 By the way, for the new HD I found those two interesting:
36 1)Hard Disk 320 Gb Western Digital WD3200KS, Sata II 300, 7200 Rpm, 16
37 Mb Cache
38 2)Hard Disk Hitachi 320gb HDT725032-VLA360 S-Ata2, Ata 300,7200rpm, 16mb
39 Cache, Rohs
40
41 I always heard good about Western-Digital; the WD drive is also the
42 least expensive so I'd choose it. However any advice is welcome.
43
44 m.
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list