From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding a use flag: hwdb
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 08:28:47
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:57:42 -0700
4 > Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > Today emerge is asking me to add "=sys-fs/udev-171-r6 hwdb" to
7 > > package.use to appease udisk. Just as before, this looks fishy to me
8 > > and I would like to get your opinion about how to properly satisfy
9 > > this seemingly system-required-use-flag. My gut instinct is that this
10 > > USE flag requirement should be handled by the Gentoo team in the
11 > > profile or in some other place that I never look at.
12 >
13 > It's not a question of "system" vs "personal preference"
14 >
15 > It's a question of treating USE flags as global or local in scope. The
16 > USE variable in make.conf applies globally, and the package.use file
17 > applies to individual packages. Portage itself couldn't care how you
18 > view the use of your flags, so you should organize them how you see fit.
19 >
20 > See here:
21 >
22 > $ euses -sf hwdb
23 > sys-fs/udev:hwdb - read vendor/device string database and add it to
24 > udev database
25 >
26 > The flag applies to only one package.
27 >
28 > Some USE flags do not have a sane default so there's no choice the devs
29 > can make on your behalf. Especially convenience features like this one
30 > - some folk want it, others do not. So the devs delegate the choice to
31 > you to apply in any way you see fit.
32
33 I think Chris' question is more about why he has to manually activate
34 this USE flag, as it seems to be necessary anyway, in his case.
35
36 Looking at my own setup, I have built udev with hwdb, but I do not know
37 why. There is no hwdb in make.conf or package.use, emerge --info does
38 not show it, but emerge --info sys-fs/udev does. I'm on version 182-r3.
39
40 > > What do you guys think? Should I append "udev hwdb" to package.use
41 > > right after my long list of "personal preference customizations"?
42
43 Yes. Or use the --autounmask-write option for emerge (may need the new
44 portage), this will add it automatically, with a comment.
45
46 Wonko