From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Configuration...
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:40:05
1 ----- Original Message -----
2
3 > From: Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
4 > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I still haven't decided what to get for my system to replace the NIC
6 > with, but the card I have should be working with my existing 802.11g network
7 > already; however, it doesn't - I have had to connect my laptop via Ethernet
8 > cable to my wireless bridge to get network access.
9 >>
10 >> /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 starts, but goes immediately inactive. From what I
11 > can find on-line, this seems to have been something common after moving to Base
12 > Layout 2/OpenRC; however, I couldn't find anything that specified what the
13 > actual solution was - I think most ended up doing a complete reinstall of their
14 > wicd/wpa-supplicant software - either way details were lacking.  I've
15 > successfully had wpa-supplicant working in the past, and as a result of all of
16 > this I've tried to get it up through the other method too (iwconfig?), but
17 > no success. (I think I have managed to get it to scan some, but not sufficiently
18 > and certainly no connections.)
19 >
20 > Did you followed the instructions at
21 >
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
23 >
24 > specifically the network section?
25
26 Yes, I believe so. It's been a while since I made the migration, but the wireless configuration seems to have broken about the same time.
27
28 The wired configuration works just fine, and the guide mentions nothing about Wireless changes - e.g. WPA Supplicant - and that's where the problem is.
29
30 >> Anyone see this issue and know what the solution is? I'd like to at
31 > least get my 802.11g access back - the current setup is a bit of a pain and very
32 > limiting.
33 >
34 > Since you use a laptop, I will assume you have either KDE, GNOME or
35 > Xfce. If that's the case, why don't you try NetworkManager or connman,
36 > and use the GUI thingy to do the work for you? I haven't manually
37 > configured a wireless network in years, and I have been the last three
38 > months traveling with my laptop literally all over the world,
39 > connecting to all kinds of access points.
40 > NetworkMnager just works, but I also hear great comments about connman.
41
42 I'm using KDE, yes. I've tried the tools but it doesn't seem to ever scan for a wireless network on its own, and the scans I have been able to force don't result in a connection - they don't even find the network I'm trying to attach it to.  Prior to the change, I could get WPA Supplicant to connect to my wireless, though I did have to have it specifically configured to do so. It wouldn't typically work using the tools for the one wireless network, while I could get it to for others (hotels, other places, etc.).
43
44 I have added another network that is configured a little differently that I would prefer to connect to (over the old one), but at the moment I'll take either. (The new 802.11g network uses WPA2; the old one uses WEP+Shared.)
45
46 Ben