From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:05:07
1 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 >>> Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder to my
8 >>> harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the videos to
9 >>> somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
10 >>>
11 >> These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a separate
12 >> filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files better in my
13 >> experience.
17 > He mentioned in one of the first few posts that he regularly has hard
18 > shutdowns. I took that as pulling the plug. The last bit of experience
19 > I had with XFS, it does not like that sort of thing to happen. Each
20 > time I had a hard shutdown, I had to reinstall the OS. Has XFS changed
21 > so that power loss is not s problem or should he not use this after all?
22 >
23 > Would hate for the OP to use XFS if it has not improved in that area.
24
25 I am using XFS now for several years and I had only once an issue with it
26 where I hit a known bug and I could restore the integrity with its own
27 tools. And yes, I had all over the time the necessity to hard reset my box,
28 because new nvidia drivers typically tend to freeze it from time to time.
29
30 - Jörg