From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: depclean wants to wipe out KDE3
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:35:36
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 20 December 2008 11:53:05 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >>> You can start by giving the relevant information, like what exactly
4 >>> related to kde is in world?. Chances are you only have KDE there, and
5 >>> emerge will probably want to nuke all but the latest SLOT. Common
6 >>> problems with KDE:
7 >>>
8 >>> Put 'kdeprefix' in USE and rebuild
9 >>> Put KDE:3.5 in world and recheck.
10 >>>
11 >>> This last one often needs to be redone recursively to get everything in
12 >>> world that needs to be there. I've heard that autounmask helps with this
13 >> kdeprefix has nothing to do with KDE3. It's not needed. It's only
14 >> needed to have many KDE4 versions at the same time.
15 >
16 > That's not true.
17
18 Yes it is.
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml#doc_chap3
21
22 "This restriction does not apply to KDE 3.5 [...]. You can have a
23 non-kdeprefix version of KDE 4.1, KDE 3.5 and a live version of KDE
24 installed on the same system."
25
26 kdeprefix is *only* for multiple KDE 4 installations.
29 > With USE=-kdeprefix, KDE4 is installed into /usr/
30 > With USE=kdeprefix, KDE4 is installed into /usr/kde/4.x
31
32 Yes, and KDE3 is *always* installed in /usr/kde/3.5 no matter what.
33 Therefore, kdeprefix is totally irrelevant here.
36 > The net result, when co-installed with kde-3.x, is that your various *PATH
37 > variables will always have 3 before 4 or vice-versa. Which is a major pita
38 > trying to get 3 and 4 to co-exist. Try it sometime, and watch KDE-4 try to
39 > read KDE-3's config and data files. Or have KDE-4 launch konqueror-4 and
40 > always get it right every time.
41
42 Has nothing to do with kdeprefix :P
45 > There's only one sane way to install KDE on gentoo - always use SLOTs, always
46 > put every version in it's own directory in /usr/kde/, always add the relevant
47 > directories to PATH | LDPATH | etc at start-up. The other option is to have
48 > one, and only one, kde version at any time.
49
50 You're misinformed, I think. For the reasons above :)
53 >> I'll try the KDE:3.5 thingy. I wonder though why the heck I have to do
54 >> this. KDE4 should have been put in its own tree.
55 >
56 > Well that's your opinion, you are entitled to it. The KDE devs don't agree
57 > though, and their three of a kind trumps your two pairs. If you are going to
58 > assert that KDE-4 SHOULD be in it's own tree, then you are going to have to
59 > present a sane argument for why, and for why the existing decision is
60 > incorrect. Just saying something "should be" doesn't cut the mustard in this
61 > case.
62
63 The reason is that KDE4 is a new product and has nothing to do with KDE3
64 other than the name. And another reason is the problem I'm describing
65 in this very thread which should have not been a problem if KDE4 had its
66 own tree. Now I'm required to have non-straightforward voodoo performed
67 to get things right just because the devs made a wrong decision.