From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xmms alternative
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:33:14
1 On Friday 27 October 2006 06:00, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > > > f) it has no good alternative :-(
3 > >
4 > > it has. amarok, alsaplayer, xine....
5 >
6 > [m3000][root][~] emerge --ask alsaplayer
7 >
8 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
9 >
10 > Calculating dependencies
11 > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "alsaplayer".
12 >
13 > OK guys, where is alsaplayer hiding?
14 >
15 > xine ==> almost as bloated as Windows Media Player. I want a simple
16 > *AUDIO PLAYER* dammit, not some honking big "multi-media" package that
17 > takes forever to build. I've had problems building xine, and swear by
18 > mplayer. I'd sooner use mplayer than xine.
19 >
20 > amarok ==> Even worse than xine. It's a Windows Media Player wannabee
21 > bloated frontend that ends up launching xine. In addition to building
22 > xinelib, it also builds kde-base, ruby, and a bunch of other junk.
23
24 Amarok is Microsofts wet dream.
25 Amarok has so much more to offer.
26 To qualify it as a wmp wannabee is just ignorant and only makes you look
27 bad...
28
29 Anyway, like Daniel said, audacious is what you want.
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list